First-of-its-kind mentor-based capacity building program, the 20/20 Catalysts Program relies on the strengths of community and technical mentors to deliver a program unique to Indigenous communities seeking to transition to clean and renewable energy. Research shows that mentor-based learning is effective for personal and professional growth. The Program utilizes a variety of experiential learning techniques to discover all that clean energy encompasses including, energy efficiency, clean energy policy development, clean energy transportation, advanced energy systems and green energy infrastructure.
The Program has been designed to be flexible so that it can accommodate each community’s specific clean energy needs. While the On-site Intensive Sessions will most directly cover these topics, there are Learning-into-Practice activities between Sessions where Catalysts will apply the knowledge and skills that they have gained to their projects and communities. Throughout the program, Catalysts will be supported by Program Mentors through the ICE Network.
The 20/20 Catalysts Program focuses on five Energy Skills Categories. Each category is broken down into 4-5 key session topics.
- Community Information Sessions & Communications Mechanisms
- Community Votes & Referendums
- Land Designations & Environmental Processes
- Project Reporting & Accountability
- Community Energy Planning
- Long-Term Economic Development Planning
- Project Site Management and Control
- Procurement of Indigenous Services: Construction & Operations
- Creating Indigenous Companies & Partnering with Non-Aboriginal Service/Product Companies
- Human Resource Skills Development & Training
- Hiring & Screening Practices
- Local & Regional Employment Strategies
- Apprenticeships & Mentoring
- Equity Financing Options & Structuring
- Financing Terms & Conditions
- Banking & Investment Management
- Financial Risks Reduction
- Community Trusts & Structuring of Clean Energy Holdings/Assets
- Financing Management & Transparency
- Investment Strategies & Options
- On-Going Project Monitoring & Governance